Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Film Baby, Summer, & Surf

I just received the following email from Ol' Hole Heels. He asked me to post:



Hello Fans of The Skeptics,

Well, I just got home from a long walk. I'm a bit excited about summer heading our way. A little soon, I know, but with all the critters soundin' off down behind the tool shed, I couldn't help but git inspired.  That got me a thinkin'. 

I feel it's time to begin a new effort in promotion of The Skeptics' newly released documentary on DVD, The Skeptics In A World Of Their Own http://www.filmbaby.com/films/5529 (Film Baby). Therefore, I'm considering utilizing my expert skills by hitting the road on a speaking tour - I guess one might call it a power talk.

Now, some of you know all about The Skeptics. Some of you may have already seen the film's screening in Frederick, Baltimore, and San Diego. Some of you might already have a copy of their story on DVD. But there's a mighty many a you who are just discovering The Skeptics. If you're visiting Keith Chester's Blog for first time that means there's bit to discover about this group of boys from Frederick, Maryland. 

So, as their long-time manager, I feel it's my duty to continue spreading the word about the band. I'd like to visit some of my favorite spots we visited and played over the years to let people know, not only about the boy's newly released documentary, but also to continuing gettin' the word out there about the boys and the magical tunes they created back in the 1980s. 

Today, I scouted a couple of the finer local venues, places where we previously performed. I'm considering these venues as being a stop on my tour.  The attached picture [above] shows me here today at the famous club, Henry's Smoke Stack. It's still a gittin' after 33 years. I'd forgotten what great times we mustered here. It wasn't long before a crowd started gathering, once word got out I was in the area. To their surprise, I treated the attentive crowd to a special reading right there on the spot. I had carried with me the original handwritten lyrics  - a gift from the boys - from one of my favorite tunes of theirs: Legend Of The Headless Surfer.  I carry the lyrics around for continued inspiration. 

Fortunately, I had my cameraman on-hand, so this spontaneous event  - and it was a hit, I might add - was video recorded. I'd like to share this moment with you:



So, If I can get my European affairs in order, and can block off a few weeks for a Power-Talk tour, just maybe I'll be stoppin' by a town near you. If so, hope to see you there!


OHH 
Manager
The Skeptics
April 13, 2011

Below is a photo of a surprise visitor on stage with the boys while they were performing The Legend of the Headless Surfer during the 2010 Weinberg Center film premiere. While The Skeptics Northeast Office does not have a copy of the Weinberg performance at present time (but we know boot leg copies of this performance survive), the following recording is from the boy's first full-length cassette, Worry Beads (1985):

(Photograph by Nancy Chester)


No comments:

Post a Comment